It all began with some leftover strings and a couple of grab bags from Homestead Hearth last year. I cut a lot of the fabrics into Tumbler shapes but always had some leftovers so my string stash began to grow.
I remembered my book Liberated String Quilts by Gwen Marston and found a quilt I wanted to make.
Gwen does not use a foundation for the string quilts so I just began sewing strips together.
First in pairs of two, and I decided on an approximate length of 7+" so I could cut them down to 6 1/2" for my strips.
The strings seemed to grow.
Many were too short so I put them in this cute Moda tin to be another quilt later.
Here are larger sets. I just chose fabrics that I liked together - pretty random, though!
I put them on the design wall to get the lengths similar as I continued to add sections together.
Next I auditioned some borders and chose red in the end with a narrow green border.
I went ahead and sewed both borders together, knowing it would give an 'old-fashioned look' to the quilt because they both extend to the sides together.
A close-up of the fabrics and quilting.
Here is the finished quilt! It will be a wallhanging and is quilted with random clams, similar to the Baptist Fan.
I pieced the backing, as I frequently do, and even pieced the sleeve at the top.
Another close-up. I still have plenty of strings to make another quilt but I guess this made my stash shrink a little bit! Happy Stitching!