Thursday, January 17, 2013

Quilting Modern


 I purchased this book last year and really like so many of the quilts plus there are some really nice and unusual quilting designs. I decided to use some scraps from my stash and see where I could go with one of the designs.
 I had lots of peaches and greens so pulled many out, pressed them and cut them into strips of various sizes.
 The quilt I chose to make is Urban Garden Quilt and you can see their version on the left in the above photo along with many fabrics. The authors don't give exact measurements for every strip but many guidelines for the blocks. In no time you are just sewing strips and working improvisationally, seeing what you would like to add next, often letting your fabrics just work for you.
 Here are a few blocks on the wall. You can see I need to either subtract from some or add to some so I can sew the blocks in long rows. Roberta Horton used to call these coping strips. I've always loved that term.
The top is finished now.
And quilted with a close wavy freehand line. I was told by some at the quilt retreat that it looked as though it were knitted from a distance.
Here is a little close up! This quilt was such fun I must say!!
And here are a few of the triangles I sewed at the quilt retreat for Easy Street. Not sure I'm thinking it is so Easy but do-able! So, 16 triangles sewn and many more blocks to go!
Happy Stitching!

4 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I love that quilt! Your colors are so soft and dare I say spring like!

Cher said...

great top! love to just pull favorite fabrics and see how it comes together..

LuAnn said...

This is the second blog I've visited that has talked about Modern Quilting. Your quilt and quilting is wonderful and perfect for the quilt.

Glady said...

Hi Judith, I am starting to gravitate towards the modern quilts too and love the look of your quilt. I'm still working on Easy Street and have four blocks together. I discovered one of my gray 4-patch blocks going in the wrong direction and had to fix it . . . opps. Better now than later!