Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Lollypop Trees Best of Show!

 Yes, it is true, I finished my Lollypop Trees, put the quilt in the Pieceful Hearts Quilt Guild Show this past weekend in North Augusta, SC, and won Best of Show! Wahoo! I am excited as I had worked on this quilt over a period of 3 or 4 years. In fact, I finished the top a year ago and it took another year to get up the courage to quilt it.
But, here it is!! It was such a pleasure to make this quilt, from choosing all the different fabrics with my friend, Ille Waters, shopping for the fabrics, trying to discern exactly what had been used on the pattern, to slowly hand stitching each circle, leaf or flower.
 Here is a portion of the border and sashing. I did just a continual swirl through all those squares and then treated the other little baby lollypops with lots of quilting like the large blocks.
 This green block below was the Judge's Choice on her comment sheet. I think the quilting showed up in it better than many others.
 Below is another closer view of this block.
 Just another block. I did all the quilting just as each block 'spoke to me' you might say. I stitched in the ditch around all the blocks and the applique, then filled in with swirls, feathers, whatever seemed to fit that block. I will not deny that it was very tedious work, even on a longarm.
 Another close up.
 One more block!
 This was a fun center. Oh, and I ended up stitching a lot on the applique as the shapes were so large they needed to be quilted to balance out the heavy background quilting.
 The above block in full view.
 And yet another!
 And another. . .
 And one of the corner blocks! What can I say? I really enjoyed this quilt and so appreciate the ribbons awarded me for my effort in time. Hope you enjoy looking at these pictures!! I know from seeing this quilt in the show that there will be more Lollypop Trees started. You can find this lovely pattern by Kim McLean at Glorious Color.com.

17 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Congratulations!! There is no doubt that it deserves that prize!

Wendy said...

Congrats!!! Such a beautiful quilt!

Nancy said...

This quilt certainly deserves every award it won. It is just beautiful. Congratulations!

Dora said...

I love this quilt! Thank you for sharing all of the photos. It definitely deserved its awards. By the way, my friend Melissa attended the quilt show and she thought this quilt was gorgeous, too!

Ginny said...

I'm so glad you posted so many details---it was great to see hou you quilted it. What a masterpiece! Congratulations on the prize. I'm glad it got the recognition it deserved.

LuAnn said...

It is just gorgeous Judith. Great fabrics, and your quilting is just awesome. Congratulations on your ribbons!

kim mclean said...

Beautiful Judith! Have had a close look at the quilting, simply marvelous! Kim McL

Donna~~ said...

Wow wow--so gorgeous! Your quilting is just incredible! Congratulations!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Congratulations, well deserved!

Diane said...

Congrats!!! Fabulous Quilt!

Carolyn said...

Judith all I can say is WOW. It does deserve every award that you
received. It is just beautiful.
The quilting is awesome. Congratulations.

woolywoman said...

How wonderful! I am inspired by your quilt.

Michele Bilyeu said...

How wonderful! You and that gorgeous quilt deserved it! Congratulations!!!

Vivian said...

Oh my your choice of fabric and hand work is absolutely fabulous. Then the quilting just adds to the beauty of it. Congratulations, it truly is an award winner.

Unknown said...

Your Lollipops Trees quilt is the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen. You did a super job? Did you use batik fabric for all the background. I have just purchased the pattern but haven't got the background. I live in Winston-Salem, NC.
Thanks so much. Linda Jones

Unknown said...

Your quilt is fabulous!!!! I have just purchases this pattern but can't find background fabric. Did you use all batiks and different colors for your blocks? Was the batik hard to appliqué? Do you do back basting appliqué? You are so very talented. I live in Winston Salem NC.
This will probably take me 10 years. Did you do the blocks the actual size-the blocks are very big.
Thanks so much. Linda Jones

judith lockhart said...

Linda, I am unable to respond to your no reply blogger but this is in answer to your questions. I did use the pattern full size. I did not do back basting but do needle turn applique, using freezer paper on the top with the freezer paper as a guide to know where to turn my fabrics under with the needle. I used some batiks and other cotton fabrics and it was not hard to stitch on the batiks. The applique goes very easy as the shapes are generally large and outside curves. Thank you for you kind comments! It was a joy to make this quilt!