Friday, April 8, 2011

Easy Peasy Strip Quilt

This quilt could be called "The Fabric Makes the Quilt" because that is exactly what I was wanting to highlight. Not a fancy design, lots of piecing, etc, but just the beautiful colors all put together for a baby quilt - the raspberry color being the key that the mom had chosen for the nursery.I found these fabrics at Sweet Home Quilt Company. They were perfect for what I wanted to do. I looked at several patterns but none were quite what I wanted or had in mind so I opened up Electric Quilt 7 and designed my own simple quilt.

I bought 1/2 yard of six fabrics for the strips, cutting them 17" x 7.5", getting 4 strips from each fabric. I then cut one of each of them in half so they measured 8.5" x 7.5". I laid them out on my design wall and played till I got the arrangement I needed, trying not to let the same fabric touch each other in the rows.

By buying half yard cuts, I still had enough left for a 2.5" wide strip to be cut so I auditioned those narrow strips between the larger ones but decided that was not the look or complication I wanted.

This was so easy, just sew those strips together to make 6 long rows, sew those rows, straighten the top and bottom edges then add my sunflower border and I had a quilt top!! The borders were cut 5 1/4" wide and I bought 1.5 yds to cut my borders lengthwise of the grain. I bought 5/8 yd of the stripe binding so I could cut it on the bias and the backing took 3-1/8 yards. The quilt measures 52" x 57" and has hearts and flowers quilted on it. As I said, Easy Peasy, so simple, yet to me, striking, and a quilt to be loved and used by my cousin's granddaughter.

5 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Great idea,love your design!

Melisa @ Sweet Home said...

Love the way this turned out, Judy! It beautifully showcases the fabric without being too fussy and complicated...perfect for a little girl!

Carolyn said...

I love your idea for this easy pattern. And the color is so nice.
Thanks for sharing.
Carolyn Goddard

LuAnn said...

Love your fabrics especially the pink floral border.

Nancy said...

Been meaning to post and say how great this quilt turned out. Those fabrics are just right. I know it will be appreciated.