Saturday, July 27, 2013

Lots of Quilting - Little Blogging!

It's been a busy month and I just realized I had not done any posting. So, here goes!
July began with my 62nd birthday and we celebrated with my daughter and her family.
Jake and Lacey both in the picture here. 
 Jake helped me blow out the candles, in fact, it was so much fun he did it three times!
 Daddy's lighting them again for him/us - lol!
 A fun evening! The cake was later topped with hot fudge sauce and ice cream.
 And now for some quilting - I've been finishing up some of the quilts I made while in Florida. This is a fun back I made with pieces from my stash.
 And here is the front - no recipient yet.
A close-up!
Here is a dress for Lacey. I was just trying the pattern for size and I think she'll be able to wear it next spring! 
 Jake loves bulldozers, cement trucks, backhoes, etc, so when I saw this fabric and kit in Florida, I could not resist. So easy yet fun. They had some really cool patterns that are on a postcard. I had never seen these before by Villa Rosa Designs. They are called Rosecards and only $2 each. The kits I bought already had the pattern included. Simple yet nice!
Now I am trying to use up some fabrics in my stash/closet. I did a lot of piecing for the back of Jake's quilt but it turned out quite interesting to me. I've always been a fan of back art!
Here is a picture of the whole back before it was quilted.
 Not only am I using some fabric from my stash, I am using up some batting. For years, I have zigzagged batting together but it gets a little difficult with larger pieces. I bought this Heat Press for bonding pieces together and it works really well. A light touch with the iron and it bonds the pieces.
Guess it's a lightweight interfacing but the way it comes on a roll makes it very convenient to use. Very quickly you have a batting ready for your quilt. I just cut some straight lines to make the edges meet well.
 And one more quilt finish - Hugs and Kisses for Lacey when she comes to Nana's house (which will be soon).
 Up close!
And another pieced back. I had some fun fat quarters from years ago with some girlie things on them, including paper dolls, and just cut them up with a few more brights and had a back all ready to go.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

You have been busy. Love the little dress and all the quilt backs.

Donna~~ said...

Love the bright quilts (and pretty backs) and Happy (late) Birthday!

Glady said...

Hi Judith, Thanks for tip of using heat and bond for putting left over batting together. That's a great idea to share that with my QBees. Your backing made of fat quarters is so awesome. We are all getting braver with piecing backings; I just pieced together my first one. Happy late birthday! :)