Monday, June 21, 2010

Sunflower Basket

This cute little quilt was started about six or seven years ago in a guild workshop. The technique was using a lightweight interfacing with the squares marked on it so you just bonded the squares to the interfacing, sew on the lines, clip the seams and you were finished. Worked pretty well, actually, but for some reason it took me about 3 years to add borders and another couple of years to finally quilt it. But now it is FINISHED!!! Another to check off my list.
After 30 years of quilting you'd think I could make a quilt without a 'learning experience' but that has not happened yet. What I learned on this quilt is that by using the interfacing technique, your seam intersections are a little thick and when quilting, I had to be sure not to cross over the intersections or I was making lots of tiny stitches in the same spot. I think it might just be easier to sew the squares without the interfacing next time.

1 comment:

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Glad to see that quilt made on the light interfacing with blocks lined on it. I got a piece of that and didn't know what to do with it. Do you just iron on the square of fabric to it in reverse side then stitch it? Would love to try that.