Yes, I am really trying to finish some projects this year. I keep telling myself that as new things pop into my head or view to start a new project! So, here is the last block of my Chelsea quilt, begun a year ago. My biggest mistake was doing this by hand. I could so easily have done it on the machine and finished it long ago as it's a medium-sized wallhanging but . . . . live and learn. Now there is hope for completing it!
Thursday, January 17, 2013
I purchased this book last year and really like so many of the quilts plus there are some really nice and unusual quilting designs. I decided to use some scraps from my stash and see where I could go with one of the designs.
I had lots of peaches and greens so pulled many out, pressed them and cut them into strips of various sizes.
The quilt I chose to make is Urban Garden Quilt and you can see their version on the left in the above photo along with many fabrics. The authors don't give exact measurements for every strip but many guidelines for the blocks. In no time you are just sewing strips and working improvisationally, seeing what you would like to add next, often letting your fabrics just work for you.
Here are a few blocks on the wall. You can see I need to either subtract from some or add to some so I can sew the blocks in long rows. Roberta Horton used to call these coping strips. I've always loved that term.
The top is finished now.
And quilted with a close wavy freehand line. I was told by some at the quilt retreat that it looked as though it were knitted from a distance.
Here is a little close up! This quilt was such fun I must say!!
And here are a few of the triangles I sewed at the quilt retreat for Easy Street. Not sure I'm thinking it is so Easy but do-able! So, 16 triangles sewn and many more blocks to go!
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Here are all my Easy Street pieces ready to sew together!! I can't believe how many people have their tops finished already and all the color combinations look great. I'm hoping to get all my blocks sewn at a quilt retreat this week - a nice project to work on there plus some handwork!
And here is a sneak peak of one of my UFOs that I got quilted this weekend and the binding is waiting for the handwork. I'll have more pics of how this came about soon. It was such a fun quilt to make last year!
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
I took a few hours to get some sewing done today. Here is Part 5 of the Easy Street Mystery Quilt by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville. I am definitely going to have to add some more turquoises to my stash when I get this quilt completed. I am about out!
Part 6 - green quarter square triangles and
approximately 130 double bricks of the black on white prints. I am really liking how this quilt is turning out and it has made me slow down a little with my piecing to be more precise. Not many more steps to go!!