Monday, April 23, 2012

Granny's String Quilt Completed

I am so excited to have finished Granny's String Quilt this week. I am very pleased with the way it turned out and I know she would be also!
 In this close up you can see the quilting pattern - Daisy Bounce - using a variegated pastel thread and I used four different fabrics for the binding.
 I really liked the way Granny used even her leftover Christmas fabrics and threw a lot of reds in. With the thirties fabrics, they just blended in and gave a little accent to the quilt.
 Here is the back. I had several blocks that were not large enough for the front so I just made a little backart, wanting to use all her fabrics. The yellow border was also in the box with her other fabrics strings.
Here is a close up of the back showing the quilting a little better. So much fun to finish a project!! Granny would be proud of it!

4 comments:

Vivian said...

Saw this over at the "String Thing Along" and loved it!

Reading through your posts on this project, you say you "re-sized" your MIL's original blocks. What size block did you finally end up using and what size was the finished quilt?

I have a box of 30s stash that I hope to one day get to make a series of quilts with and will keep your design in mind for the scraps!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Also visiting from the String Thing Along ... lovely quilting and just a wonderful quilt (especially with the memories attached)

Nancy said...

I just love this quilt..I know Granny is looking down and smiling

LuAnn said...

I love this quilt and how the white strips are on the diagonal. The piano key border just tops it off. I have a drawer of 30s stash and a quilt started, too, and everytime I see a neat quilt made with those fabrics it makes me want to pull it out and work on it. I love your daisy quilting. It's just perfect.