Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Quilts of Fall

As much as I love brights and pinks and loud colors, when Fall comes around each year, I just can't wait to pull out my Fall Quilts and display them around the house. I really love the fall weather, too, when you have the cool, crisp mornings to go walking outside. It took several days for it to finally get here but now we are enjoying that weather and even seeing a peek or two of colorful leaves! Above see a butterfly quilt made using the blanket stitch on my sewing machine. This pattern was taken years ago from a quilt my mother-in-law made by hand when she was 12 years old. Paired with it is a pineapple quilt that was for a quilt challenge with the PHQ guild in the mid nineties.
This quilt is from a Country Threads book, Wear Warm Clothes, which had small quilts for all the seasons. So far, just have the one for Fall, but who knows, I may get energetic and make the others one day!
These quilts were both mystery quilt classes taught by Julie Sherar, again, back in the nineties. They were such fun classes and I made 4 quilts with the pattern in the front. Mindless sewing with such a delightful pattern that came from it.
This quilt is called The Great Unknown. It was a kit I bought and love the vibrant colors in it.

1 comment:

Jennifer Taylor said...

I love quilts. My grandmother used to make them, but few people in family make them anymore. I have one aunt who still quilts.