Thursday, May 14, 2009

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

I participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure this past Saturday, May 9. I ran with my sister, Sylvia Brush, and other members of her family were participating. Her husband, Edgar, son Trey and his wife, Nikki and daughter, Bonnie. It was the first race I had participated in and got up at 4:30 a.m. to get downtown Atlanta and be assured of a parking place in the garage at Atlantic Station. I got there around 6:40 a.m. so that was no problem, thankfully. I did not want to be driving around looking for a place to park in unfamiliar territory.

In fact, we arrived so early that we did the one mile walk at 7:45 which was not planned and then at 8:30 took on the 5K run. Sylvia and I jogged most of the time, coming in at 42.5 minutes. I was happy with my time since I normally just walk and had not been able to train as much as I'd like due to some health issues this year........it was quite exhilarating seeing the thousands (15,000) running up and down the hills of Atlanta.

When you start realizing how many people you know that have or have had breast cancer, or even died from it, it is amazing. People posted names on pink sheets of paper to remember those. I have 15 ladies on my list and I'm sure I did not remember all of them.

Thanks again to all those that supported my efforts and run!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love quilts and also running!!! hugs

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

wowoowwwww or shoudl i say woootttt....five K?! oh my!