Monday, May 21, 2012

Blindman's Fancy & Farmer's Wife

Several months ago I spotted the book, History Repeated, by Betsy Chutchian and Carol Staehle, in a quilt shop. I quickly purchased it and my favorite quilt in the book was Blindman's Fancy - also a rather difficult one. I think the picture on the cover of the book at the bottom left is what drew me in. After sorting through my fabrics for a couple of  weeks I decided to begin cutting and see if I could make this block the proper size.
I was slightly scared off from the quilt because there are some pieces cut and sized to 1/16" of an inch. I mean, my rulers don't even have those marks on them. Well, I finally decided the Omnigrid little cross lines might be that and it seemed to work. I used a Liberty of London print in the center to African fabric to Piece O'Cake plus a little in between. I am mostly wanting to use my stash yet still get the look from the book.
Another project I just began was the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt. Again, on my list of 'want to make' quilts. 
I made Block 1 twice since I didn't care for the fabrics I chose after they were put together. I think once the block was put with others it looked much better. So far the blocks are pretty simple and fun, choosing fabrics from my stash. A friend told me they were addictive and I can see that happening! Happy Stitching!!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Your fabric choices and work are absolutely perfect. Great start!

toko busana muslim said...

Very interesting... I really like it... Thank you so much...

antique quilter said...

wow what a twist on that blind man fancy block
its a quilt I have started too, need to get back to that, I love that book there are so many quilts I would love to make from History Repeated.
Yes, I am making blocks from the next book too!
someday it will be a quilt , I find I use my scrap basket for these blocks and in the end they will all work together. I would all use all your blocks in the quilt!
Kathie

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I applaud you as I think this looks really hard!